Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Stick A Fork In Penn State's Season

Unfortunate news out of State College, Pa. today, we learn that senior Geary Claxton is done for the season after an ACL injury in the first half of a loss against Wisconsin.

Claxton has been on the receiving end of many jokes because it seems that he has been a Nittany Lion for decades. And it has seemed like that. But the truth is, he was one great competitor and a joy to watch in the Big Ten. With the current team, the Nittany Lions weren't going to challenge for a conference championship, but they had the tools to pull a few upsets and fight for an NIT berth.

But now, Ed DeChellis and the Nittany Lions may as well write this season off. Without Claxton leading the way, Jamelle Cornley, Talor Battle and company will be lost. If the loss to the Gophers wasn't deflating enough--the Badgers came out last night and destroyed the Lions--this news is surely a crushing blow. Expect the Nittany Lions to struggle immensely the remainder of the season.

Big Ten Chronicle has more here. And if you don't read Big Ten Chronicle, you should, even if the blogger thinks a recurring role on Law & Order means Fred Thompson would be a good President. Run Up The Score has the Penn State reaction here.

I'll be back later today with a first look at Indiana. The Hoosiers come to Minneapolis for a nationally televised tilt Thursday night.

7 comments:

Brad said...

Haha! His role on Law & Order isn't what pursuaded me. It was more his outstanding performances in Days of Thunder and Necessary Roughness!
But yes, back to basketball...Penn State is DONE!

PJS said...

Necessary Roughness, how could I forget. Scott Bakula at his finest.

snyde043 said...

That really sucks about Geary Claxton.

I would've liked to have seen Penn State continue to build a respectable conference record and hopefully have knocked off a few Minnesota competitors in the process.

PJS said...

I had hoped for the same sceanrio, Mark. Without Claxton I don't think more than maybe one upset is likely.

Anonymous said...

Not a Fred supporter. Hell, I'm not even a republican. But you do realize he seved two terms in the senate not to mention many other years in D.C.?

Anonymous said...

Heh, If you think about it, He might have more experience than Obama. In case you're wondering, I don't know who I'm gonna vote for. I'm an independent. Both parties disgust me.

PJS said...

Yeah, anon, I'm aware of Thompson's service to our country as a legislator.

He seems like a nice enough guy, I was mostly just poking fun at Brad.

Though sometimes I think people like Thompson because of his Hollywood ties. It's all about being as much like Ronald Reagan as possible.

Powered By Blogger